Wednesday, November 16, 2005

What else has Fitzgerald missed?

So now Bob Woodward is testifying in Plamegate. It seems that he found out about the identity of Valerie Plame about a month before Scooter Libby is accused of doing so. With this level of incompetence showing in Fitzgeralds investigation what else could he have missed?

How do you run an investigation of Bush administration officials leaking Plames identity to the press and not even think to question the Assistant Managing Editor of the WaPo? Not to mention that he's probably the most famous journalist in the United States.

After nearly two years of investigating this, Fitzgerald seems to be no closer to figuring out who was first to leak Plames name to the media.

FROM THE LEFT (courtesy of Lefty Metalhead):

I wouldn't jump to such conclusions just yet. There are currently two theories regarding Woodward's recent comments. The first one indicates that Woodward secretly knows all the dirt regarding Cheney/Rove and Bush, and he will try to take them down with him. The second, which seems more plausible to me, is that Woodward is trying to put smoke in the air, thus bringing up questions regarding the credibility of Fitzgerald's investigation. Perhaps Woodward is in cahoots with some of Cheney's people (he could actually be Woodward's source) to discredit Fitzgerald and bring Libby some light at the end of the tunnel.

While compelling, the question isn't whether Fitzgerald investigated properly or not. I will suggest, however, that the question(s) be: What does Woodward really know, and why is he speaking-out NOW? Interesting stuff.

At this point, both Osgiliath and I can be right about this. We'll have to wait and see. Great post dude, you beat me to it!

5 comments:

Osgiliath said...

Lefty - Regarding the two theories that you posted. The first one seems to require a tinfoil hat to go along with it, I'm glad to hear that you don't put much faith in that one either.

As to the second theory of Woodward acting as a smokescreen for Bush, Cheney and company. I don't really see the connection, Woodward is not known in the DC area as being a Bush fan/supporter. I can't really think of any reason why this fairly well known leftward-leaning journalist would get in bed with Bush on this.

BigNewsDay said...

We have to remember that Fitzgerald was a judge appointed by Bush before he became the special prosecutor. He may be botching the investigation on purpose.

Lefty Metalhead said...

Osgiliath:

Yeah, I totally dismiss the first "theory". I implied a connection between Woodward and the Bush cabal to stimulate debate. I don't quite see a strong connection there, but I beg to question why he's talking now instead of months ago.

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly, but I'm thinking that you feel Fitzgerald should be discredited because he missed Woodward during the investigation. Hopefully he'll be charged with obstruction of justice. I think your questioning of Fitzgerald's efficiency is necessary. Nevertheless, the Bush administration is heavily involved in the Plame's uncovering. It's just a matter of time before more people start talking.

BigNewsDay:

That's very true. Fitzgerald has ties to the Bush administration. Just because he's from the Democratic kingdom of Chicago doesn't mean he isn't a GOP partisan. As I said before, we'll have to wait and see what happens here. Like many on the left, I really hope this nails someone in the Bush administration (sorry Osgiliath for this bit of liberal hackery :) ).

Osgiliath said...

Bignews: I haven't heard any info of Fitz being a judge appointed by Bush. He seems to have a long history of non partisan prosecutions behind him. See his Wikipedia entry at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Fitzgerald

Lefty:

I don’t think that Fitz should be discredited, I can see how I gave that impression. It’s that Fitz is looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. With all of the rumor mongering that goes on in DC, I don’t think he will ever be able to definitively prove the identity of the first person to leak Plames info to the media.

With the way things look right now, I’m putting my money on Joe Wilson as being the initial source of the leak. Thus far we’ve got a retired major general, a Time reporter and a MSNBC reporter all claiming that Wilson was all but putting a stamp on her forehead that read “spy”

Once again, I haven’t seen any strong ties to the Bush admin from Fitzgerald. In the past he’s prosecuted Republicans and Democrats with equal fervor. If he can get through the swamp of lies and innuendo that blanket Washington he may get somewhere, but I doubt it.

BigNewsDay said...

I'm sorry I was wrong. He is a U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois appointed by Bush upon the recommendation of of former Republican Senator Peter Fitzgerald (no relation.) My bad!